Historic book donated to Village’s museum

Contributed photo Village historian Kathleen Christensen with Nathaniel Stillman, who donated his family’s genealogical book to the museum at Village Hall.

Contributed photo
Village historian Kathleen Christensen with Nathaniel Stillman, who donated his family’s genealogical book to the museum at Village Hall.

The museum at Village Hall recently acquired a genealogical book that belonged to the Stillman family. The acquisition was a gift from Nathaniel Stillman, a former Cornwall-on-Hudson resident.

Village Historian Kathleen Christensen reports that the book includes documentation, pictures and a family chart that dates back to the birth of Charles Stillman in 1810.

His descendant, Dr. Ernest Stillman, paid for the construction and all the equipment in Cornwall Hospital, which opened in 1931. Dr. Stillman’s brother, Chauncery, bequeathed the property that is now used by The Grail, Jogue’s Retreat and the Outdoor Discovery Center (formerly known as “Kenridge Farm”).

Among other properties that once belonged to the Stillmans are Black Rock Forest and the Storm King Golf Club.

When Nathaniel Stillman (Ernest’s grandson) came to Village Hall, he recalled having the late Janet Dempsey as his fourth-grade teacher. Miss Dempsey, who later became the Town Historian, helped him with his family research. Her father had been friendly with Dr. Stillman and had traveled abroad with him on one occasion.

Village Historian Kathleen Christensen was delighted with the gift. “Thank you, Nathaniel,” she said, “for such devotion in bringing the Stillman family’s legacy back to the Village of Cornwall-on-Hudson and Cornwall.”

EmailShare/Bookmark

Editorial Staff